Friday, January 4, 2013

Some personal thoughts today . . .

It's the new year already and I've been spending a lot of time reflecting on days past.  I am thankful for the things I've learned and for all those loved ones in my life and especially thankful for the wonderful opportunities headed my way!  It is because of all of that, that I am who I am today.

I saw an article today on ABC News that made me smile, and I wanted to share.

While December 31st 2012 marked the passing of my beloved grandmother, who nutured my love of sewing, it also marked the 5 year anniversary of a terrible time in my life; our first attempt with IVF (In Vitro Fertilization) unfortunately resulting in a ruptured uterus and subsequent removal and of course death of our 7 week baby, the first one that had a heartbeat, seen for the first time mere hours before.  So, as you can imagine, I've been thinking about babies and pregnancy a lot lately.

With the rupture, my son's pregnancy 6 months later was considered high risk – first because of the recent rupture, then because of the suspicion of Down Syndrome, then later for the placenta’s placement (the placenta's placement eventually caused severe hemorrhaging, resulting in his earlier-than-planned premature birth).  And with a high risk pregnancy came ultrasounds – lots of them.  And I mean LOTS! Because of the high risk pregnancy I was advised not to travel on my own so family and friends came with me to all of my OB appointments and got to see my son in all his pre-birth glory, 3- and 4-D ultrasounds included.  It was amazing to be able to share that with my mother and my mother-in-law; they loved seeing him wiggle around on the screen, having never experienced an ultrasound with their own pregnancies many years ago.

The ultrasounds were necessary for us, but I have no opinion on their safety for typical pregnancies because I have no experience with that; I've had 4 pregnancies, none of them typical (actually, since the previous 3 were all heterotopic pregnancies, my son's pregnancy is the closest to normal I ever had!).  Having had so many ultrasounds, and being able to share them with those close to me, I love this idea!  Sonogram Parties!  If we ever have another pregnancy (which would hopefully NOT be high risk, which would then not involve so many ultrasounds), this is something I'd love to do and share with my family and friends.
 
Please feel free to share your thoughts and experiences! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment